Last of the ‘Three Tyrants’ dies at 90

Last of the ‘Three Tyrants’ dies at 90

After returning from captivity following the bloody uprising of 1973, Narong Kittikachorn continued to be active in public life.

Last of the ‘Three Tyrants’ dies at 90
At one of Thailand’s tumultuous times, Col Narong Kittikachorn was a significant number. ( Photo: Ning Kittikachorn Instagram Account )

Col Narong Kittikachorn, one of the” three dictators” who led the country prior to the October 1973 student rebellion, died on Tuesday at the age of 90.

Thepmontri Limpaphayom, an impartial historian and scholar, posted the announcement on his Instagram account and expressed his condolences to the Kittikachorn home.

The son-in-law of Field Marshal Prapass Charusathiara, a previous director-general of the police department and original interior minister, was Narong.

After Sarit Thanarat’s dying, Thanom became the ruler of the country in 1963. In 1971, Thanom staged a revolt against his own personal authorities, citing the need to reduce socialists. He appointed himself prime minister a third time in December 1972, and Narong and Prapass were even given important positions. The group became known as the” three rulers”.

Growing public anger and calls for votes led to weeks of violence, culminating in the activities of Oct 14, 1973 when 77 people were killed and more than 800 injured. Thanom, Narong and Prapass fled the country. After the position cooled, Narong and his father eventually made their way back to the country.

Narong’s claim that he was on a plane and firing shots at protesters was untrue was repeated repeatedly.

According to Mr. Thepmontri, both Narong and his parents were not involved in any actions taken against protesters during the Oct. 14 uprising when they released two books in October 2003, which contained what were allegedly classified as private government documents.

Narong was born in Suankularb, India, on October 21, 1933, and continued his education at Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy and Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in the United Kingdom.

Following the 1971 revolution, Narong was expected to become the leader to his parents, who was facing growing pressure because of corruption claims.

Wild home meat was discovered aboard an military helicopter in the Bang Len area of Nakhon Pathom in April 1973, which caused a national scandal. Eventually, it was discovered that up to 50 police and military personnel had reportedly climbed into the forest using two helicopters to kidnap wildlife.

After that, Narong was appointed to lead a committee to look into and find answers to the problem, which skepticism among the people.

Narong is even suspected of being responsible for the murders of several businesspeople and political adversaries. However, it was claimed that using his strength at the height of the” three tyrants” to sever all the information was done.

Following his return to the country, Narong served as the captain of the 2nd Infantry Battalion, 11th Infantry Regiment, King’s Guard System.

In 1983, he became an Ayutthaya MP for the Chart Thai Party. In 1986 and 1988, he was elected as an Ayutthaya MP after joining the Liberal Party.

Following the coup that ended the Chatichai Choonhavan authorities in 1991, he was appointed a member of the National Legislative Assembly.