Forty dead in heavy rains in eastern Afghanistan; 17 killed in bus accident

ISLAMABAD: Heavy rains in eastern Afghanistan have killed at least 40 people and injured nearly 350 others, Taliban officials said on Tuesday ( Jul 16 ). Individually, at least 17 died when a vehicle overturned on a major highway, standard media said.

Sharafat Zaman Amar, a spokeswoman for the Public Health Ministry, confirmed that 40 people had died in Monday’s surprise and that 347 hurt people had been brought for care to the local clinic in Nangarhar from Jalalabad, the capital of Nangarhar province, and local districts.

According to statewide spokesman Sediqullah Quraishi, five members of the same family were among the deceased when the roof of their home in Surkh Rod area collapsed. Four other community members were injured.

About 400 homes and 60 light beams were destroyed across Nangarhar province, Quraishi said. He claimed that there were limited connections in Jalalabad town and that power was cut in some areas. The injury was still being assessed, Quraishi said.

Abdul Wali, 43, said much of the injury occurred within an hour. The breezes were so powerful that they blew everything into the atmosphere. That was followed by heavy rainwater”, he said. His 4-year-old girl received minor injury, he said.

More than 300 people were killed and thousands of homes were destroyed in May by extremely heavy storms, most of which occurred in the state of Baghlan in north India, according to the World Food Program.

At least 17 people were killed and 34 people were hurt when a vehicle overturned on the main highway in northern Baghlan state on Tuesday morning, according to the official Taliban news organization Bakhtar.

Although it was n’t immediately known what caused the accident, careless driving and poor road conditions are frequently to blame for these incidents in the nation.